Women’s Fitness Tips For Building A Booty
Want to build firm glutes and increase lower body strength? Sculpting strong glutes means working all three gluteus muscles (maximus, medius and minimus) from different angles with targeted compound exercises.
Blast your booty with these 5 glute-building exercises and the extensive range of equipment in our Perth women’s gym.
Squats are a women’s fitness favourite because they target the gluteus maximus while also working your core, hips, thighs and calves.
- Stand with your feet hip-width apart
- Bend your knees and send the butt back and down into a sitting position
- Keep your knees behind your toes to engage the right muscles
- Press up with your heels back to standing
- Repeat 8-12 times for 3 sets
Hold a dumbbell vertically to turn your squat into a goblet squat. Alternatively ask a PT to walk you through barbell squats for serious leg-day strength gains.
Lunges are a great butt-building exercise because they use the glute muscles for stability and power.
- Standing with feet slightly spread step forward about a metre, dropping the back knee
- Front leg should be bent 90° at the knee and front foot planted flat at the bottom of the lunge
- Make sure not to lunge past your front foot
- Press into your front heel to return to starting position
- Repeat 12-16 times for 3 sets on each side
Once you have the movement down add dumbbells for more glute and core strength.
3. Glute Bridges
Grab a mat and head to the women’s gym to build your booty with bridges.
- Lie on your back with knees bent and feet are flat on the floor
- Brace your core and press into your heels
- Squeeze your glutes and raise your hips until you reach a straight “bridge” position
- Hold for 2 seconds then return to the floor, still bracing your core
- Repeat 12-16 times for 3 sets
Use an exercise ball to add instability and promote core strength. Start with your shoulders and neck supported by the ball and repeat the steps above.
4. Single Leg Plyo Lunge
The big sister to the lunge, single leg plyo lunges build explosive strength in your glutes and lower body.
- Start in lunge position (see above)
- In one motion use your front foot to launch into a jump and bring your back leg forward
- At the top of the jump your ‘back’ leg should be bent 90° at the hip and knee
- Imagine you are a superhero launching off the ground!
- Land safely on the launch foot and bring your other leg back to lunge position
- Repeat 8-12 times for 3 sets
Once you master the single leg plyo lunge try adding holding dumbbells. Work up to heavier weights once you are confident.
5. Step Ups
No Stairmasters are involved in this women’s fitness favourite; all you need is a plyo box or a bench.
- Stand about half a metre in front of the plyo box
- Step up with one foot firmly on the box
- Like single leg lunges, bring the back leg up in front of you
- Bring the raised leg back down, followed by the foot on the box
- Repeat up to 20 times (10 each leg) for 3 sets
Use dumbbells to add weights, or increase the height of the plyo box for even bigger booty gains.
Women’s Fitness Classes For Glutes, Core And More
Need a break from building the booty? For a bit or variety, mix up your workouts with a ladies-only fitness class on offer at every Surge Fitness location.